Monday, April 28, 2014

Ask a Librarian

I have been working on a brick wall of mine lately.  I have not been able to find the parents of my fourth great-grandmother.  In the new addition of Family Tree Magazine there is an article on Solving Cold Cases.  One suggestion is to ask a librarian.  Of course a librarian is not going to do the research for you but might be able to lead in a direction you were not aware of. That is what happen to me.



I sent a request to see if the library at the Family Research Center in Elizabeth City, NC might know where I should look next for my missing ancestors.  I gave all the information I had and what a surprise when I got an email back today with all kinds of ideas to try.  One thing I never heard of were Estate files.  She said there is an 85 page file on my third great grand father that might have a clue.  Even if it doesn't it will be interesting to see what his file has in it.

So don't give up on those brick walls.  Keep chipping away at them.  Be sure to read the latest genealogy journals and research magazines.  There is a lot of information out there and the more you know the better researcher you will be.

Is there a brick wall you are working on.  What are some of your strategies?  Has a brick wall come down for you?  We would love to hear your story.  Just add it to the comments box below.

Untill next time, happy hunting.
Kristina

No comments:

Post a Comment