Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Asking Mom About Her Side of the Family

If you are new to genealogy I hope you will take the advice of all those gene gurus and ask family members about the family members you don't know.  The little tidbits you pick up in their stories are great clues for further research.  Case in point: here is what happened to me today.

I was with mother and asked her a few questions about her side of the family.  I have been doing a lot of work on my Ancestry.com tree and discovered some family members I didn't know much about.  We were talking about her father who died in 1958, ten years before I was born.  I new he had a brother "Palmer" and a nephew "LP" but I didn't know any stories about their lives.  So mom said Palmer was the head of the local paper in Portsmouth, VA called The Portsmouth Star and when she was little if her daddy didn't have his paper when he woke he would call his brother and ask "Lewis where is my paper?"  And Palmer would send a boy over to their house with the paper.  Mom said they always referred to each other by their formal names.  We talked about James Auther King too.  James A was another one of Palmer's son.  Now I knew Jimmy.  He was a priest and we would always visit him when we traveled to Virginia.  The last time I saw him was 2002 when mom and I went to visit her best friend Lynn at Virginia Beach, VA.  James' niece Nancy King Rinick sent mom a picture of the family that attended his funeral but she doesn't recognize any of the faces.  I would like to make contact with Nancy if I can to find some of the names.

This is Rev James Arthur King and the family.



Birth 11 Aug 1929 in Charlotte, NC
Death 27 April 2006 in Richmond, VA
Priest at St. Paul's Petersburg, VA



Until then, Happy Hunting
Kristina


No comments:

Post a Comment